How To Make The Perfect French Fries
First of all, what is a perfect french fry? In our opinion it’s one that’s golden and crispy on the outside, creamy on the inside, and has a genuine and delicious potato flavor. When we started Friends & Brgrs, we set out to achieve just that. It turned out to be a lot more difficult than we had imagined. Making fries is both an art and a science. Over the years we made plenty of mistakes and learned a lot. And we tried more than 30 potato varieties.
Eventually we found the answer. We call it “Triple cooked Fresh Fries”. Instead of making our fries in large batches a few times a week, they are freshly prepared throughout the day, everyday. We don’t use any additives at all, and instead of cleaning the cooking oil with chemicals, we change the oil often to ensure that it’s always fresh. We believe this is how you get the best possible flavor.
Making our fries from start to finish takes about 30 minutes. Here’s how it’s done:
1. We pick the right potatoes. The characteristics of the potatoes evolve throughout the year, which is why we regularly change the potato variety we use.
2. We cut the potatoes with the skin on. The skin gives the fries a more intense and delicious potato flavor.
3. We first cook the fries in boiling water until they start to soften up. This step is critical for getting really crispy fries.
4. We cook the fries in pure, Finnish canola oil. The optimal temperature for the cooking oil depends on the potato variety, and finding the right temperature is crucial.
5. We cook the fries one last time on high heat. All fries are fried to order until they’re golden brown and crispy.
6. We season the fries with salt and serve immediately!
We’ve also made a video on how we make our fries, check it out below!